How Freedom taste to you? Sweet or bitter or undecided? I really can’t express myself in the taste but words help me to enunciate what freedoms mean to me. What words crosses your mind about freedom? My perspective towards life let me generated several words that I define freedom and they are the following:
Adventure Excitement Joy Tranquility Colorful
Priceless Travel Humble Freedom of Expressions
Independence Meaningful Life Achievements Sharing
Delightful Tastes Equity Comfort Wisdom Perseverance
Content Natural Clarity Genuine Truself Forgiving
Life Goals Free to Choose No Guilt No Regret Writing
Able to Say NO Non-Judgemental Authentic Thinker
Photography Humility Overcoming Calamities Thankful
Change Connect Embrace and Practice My Religion
How important is freedom in your life? Freedom is fundamental to my being. Owning freedom grants me a rational soul, a content heart, and clarity in thinking. These three elements in combination guide me in decision-making to go about in life. Interrupted freedom, will deprive me of its meaning (as I’ve captured them in many words above).
Means to achieve freedom: How you define your freedom influence the way you want to achieve them. From Al-Qarni’s perspective of life that viewed ‘Freedom Tastes Sweet’, he proposed the FIVE means to achieve freedom in life :
- Be self-sufficient. Work hard and smart to earn your own life. Don’t own your life to anybody except God.
- Be content with your current life. You live with whatever you earn, not more.
- Expect no favor from anyone for which a reward is expected in return. Do kind deeds but never expect anything in return. No expectation!
- Don’t let aspirations and desires enslaved you. You should strive to achieve your goals in life. If they do not turn out as you’ve planned, do not be despair. Revise your life goals or find alternatives. God has other plans for you. Something better in life awaits you. Perhaps new and better doors of opportunities are just around the corner of the closed doors.
- Wealth and status are not means to happiness. One should work to earn wealth and status. However, never let wealth, and/or status consumes oneself. These materialistic agents are false happiness measurement standards. Mismanagement of them is likely to cause one a hell life misery thus deprived them of freedom. Have you heard these words, Power conquers Power? Wealth nurtures greeds? ‘Wealth is the slave of a wise man. The master of a fool‘ -by Lucius Annaeus Seneca
In sum, our life perspectives influence how freedom tastes to us, thus, our definition to it. This definition is likely to differ from one person to another. Hence, means to secure freedom could also be different. Nevertheless, a more important question is that one needs to ask is whether their definition of freedom is relevant in all their live situations?
The watercolor vector is Designed by Freepik.com